Viateur Lapierre

Viateur Lapierre was born in Montreal the 13th of September 1917. From his childhood, he was fascinated by drawing. In 1930, he began classical studies at the Collège André-Grasset. First class in drawing, he decided to devote himself to fine arts.

From 1934 to 1937, he studies at the School of the fine Arts of Montreal and continues his studies in drawing with Louis Muhlstock. He obtains a first employment as a graphic designer at the Meco Studio. In 1942, he is called on duty. He will be soldier then lieutenant of infantry. Fortunately, he finds his brushes again as he is assigned to conceive recruitment posters. Released from the army, he returns to Meco. In 1944, he marries Claire Imbleau. They will have an only daughter, Suzanne. In 1946, he is artist conceiver at the Ronalds Advertising agency. He continues his studies of painting with Hermann Heimlich. In 1950, one of his paintings is selected and exposed at the Fine Arts Museum of Montreal.

In 1957, he goes to the United States to study painting with a renowned artist-painter, Robert Brackman, N.A., famous for his portraits of personalities such Lindbergh. In 1960, he founds and manages with Gabriel Bastien (author of the mural, at the subway station of Sherbrook, in Montreal) the Vocational school of Commercial Art.

In 1963, he leaves Ronalds and accepts a coveted position as artistic director at the Canadian Agency of Publicity. Between 1965 and 1969, Viateur Lapierre is awarded prices from the “Publicity Club” of Montreal, the “Graphica Club” of Toronto and the “International Marketing and Advertising Association” for advertising work. Then, he goes back to the United States to study painting with another famous artist, Wallace Bassford.

On June 16, 1970, takes place his first solo exposition at the gallery located on Sherbrook street in Montreal, Llewellyn & Picard. In the Seven-Days magazine, the writer, Mr. Claude Jasmin mentions that the images of Lapierre surpass the subject and underlines his ability of draughtsman and colorist. The “News and Chronicle” recalls… “the breath of Clarence Gagnon in the paintings of Lapierre”.

On January 19, 1973, Lapierre exposes his painting for the first time in Toronto. His solo exhibition at the Chasse-Gallery was a big hit. Toronto-native critics wrote “… a painter landscape designer who can discover the beauty of the Quebec countryside and evokes the pastoral life on its decline in the four seasons splendors”.

In 1974, Viateur Lapierre carries out his old dream: he leaves advertising work definitively and devotes all his time to painting. Consequently, the exhibitions multiply in Montreal and Ontario.

The first book devoted to Lapierre appears in 1979 in the Marcel Broquet editions. Viateur exposes his paintings in the Quebec House in New York in 1980. The following year, he exposes them in France, in the Art Center of Vésinet from the 11th to the 28th of June 1981. The French press is filled with enthusiasm as much for the man as for his work. The Radio-Canada television presents a 30 minutes report on Lapierre and his work.

In 1984, a second monograph appears. This time, the foreword is from Pierre Dudan. Lapierre and some painters take part in a film made in Charlevoix and presented on the Radio-Canada television. A retrospective is conducted in March 1989 in the Arts House of Laval.

During the years, Viateur Lapierre took part in many humanitarians’ events and donated some of his paintings.

Here are Works of Art that we have by Viateur Lapierre

back to main