Maurice Le Bon (1916 - 1998)

Maurice Le Bon was born in Quebec City.

He studied at the Petit Seminaire in Quebec City, and then at the Seminaire and College in Sherbrook. He started studying drawing and painting under Francesco Iacourto.

In 1939, he enlisted in the Canadian Armed Forces, then in the American Army. After very specialized training, he was promoted to Captain and was actively involved in combat in the Aleutian Islands. He was seriously injured in the battle for Anzio in Italy. After the war, he became Sports Director in Baie-Comeau, and then worked in Public Relations for several Canadian companies. Later, he devoted his time to painting and exhibited at various places, including at Laval University in 1971.

In 1992, he received a Lifetime Membership to the Garnison Club in Quebec City. He was named director of the Institute of Figurative Art in 1986.

Working with oil he created Quebec urban street scenes as well as landscapes and rural scenes.

Collections and honors:

His works belong to several private collections and art galleries in Canada and Europe. In May 1973, he was honored to witness one of his paintings shown to the eight commanders of the OTAN Fleet when they were in Quebec City. One of his works was offered to the then Governor General, Roland Michener. Pierre Eliot Trudeau and Brian Mulroney have acquired some of his paintings. Several of his works belong to the Quebec's Citadel. Finally, among other collectors were Pope John Paul II, the Archbishop of Canterbury and Queen Elizabeth II.

back to main